1. 山中无老虎,猴子称霸王。
老板出差了,他可以指手画脚的指挥别人了。山中无老虎,猴子称霸王嘛。
The boss is away on business so he could finger others around in the office. This is when the cat’s away, the mice will play.
2. 跟某人开个玩笑 give someone a ribbing
我只是跟她开个玩笑,可她却当真了
I only gave her a ribbing, but she took it seriously.
3. 拿别人开心 to rib someone
为什么你总拿别人开心呢?要是别人拿你开心你又会有什么感受?
Why should you always like to rib others? What if others do the same to you?
4. 同甘苦,共患难 share weal and woe
结婚前他发誓说要和我同甘苦,共患难的,可是在我病危之际他却抛弃了我。
Before getting married, he swore that he would share weal and woe with me but now, he abandoned me at a time when my health is threatening my life.
5. 小题大做 stir a storm in a teacup
他说他是在阐述深奥的道理,可我认为他只不过在小题大做,故弄玄虚而已。
He said that he was explaining some abstruse philosophy. But to me he was only trying to stir up a storm in a teacup and mystifying things.
6. 动不动就…… at the drop of a hat
我真不懂你干吗动不动就拿孩子出气呢?
I can’t make it out why should you get it out on the kids at the drop of a hat.
7. 开导某人 talk sense into someone
我那个儿子是鬼迷心窍了,你来开导开导他把
My son’s having a bee in his bonnet. I’d like you to come over and talk sense into him.
8.付好处费 pay off
他说我们必须先付给他一笔好处费,他才会带我们去见那位部长。
He said that he wouldn’t take us to see the minister until we had paid him off.
9.以其人之道还治其人之身 give someone a taste of his own medicine
这就是我所说的“以其人之道还治其人之身”。
This is what I call “give him a taste of his own medicine”.
10.豁出去了 shoot the works
这次我也豁出去了,到五星级大饭店请你们吃一顿。
I’ll shoot the works this time by giving you a treat in a five-star hotel.
|